Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

All things in-between- Scratchboard project

1) Recently I have desperately been wanting to go see the P!ATD concert and in wanting to see it have explore what the concert scene is typically like. Friends have said their is normally a lot of weed and booze around as well as vaping. A specific friend in my art class one day was showing some cool pictures of them vaping and i came up with the idea of using it for my movement piece because i had liked the example piece my art teacher, Ms. Rossi, had showed us with an exploding head and smoke coming out. The only thing this person required me to do in return was block out their eyes so that they could not be identified. This the idea came to me to incorporate the censored picture into the piece and use bars in the background as a suggestion of more people being present. 
2) I used hatching in the smoke to give it color and direction in hopes of creating and airy, light texture as is usually given to smoke. 
3) Initially I just had the face with the smoke coming out of nose as the center of the piece and nothing else. However, I soon decided that I wanted to have more "people" part of the piece to create a crowd so I added in the bars to create a background. 
4) I implied movement in my piece by using hatching in the smoke to make it appear as if it is moving in particular directions and by having it come out if the nose it is assumed that is in motion. 
5)I could improve this piece by having smoother lines and cleaner pieces of smoke. I added some smoke in after my initial design and I don't like the way it looks because it doesn't seem to glow with the other pieces well and looks distinclty different to my eye.
6) I used hatching to create brighter highlights in certain areas of the face and to give the smoke color and opacity. I also created bright white bars to accent the person and the crowd surrounding her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment